Team Captain and Vice Captain Selection Process
The purpose of this document is to confirm to all senior players the criteria and process involved in selecting Captains for each of Subiaco Floreat Cricket Club’s senior teams in the Western Australian District Cricket Competition.
This selection policy is for the benefit of all players and selectors alike and is designed to enable the selection process to operate as smoothly as possible.
The General Committee is responsible for the appointment of Team Captains. The General Committee will receive a recommendation from the Chairman of Selectors and he/she will explain to the General Committee the process they have been through to arrive at their recommendations and put forward the reasons why the proposed Captains are the best available option for the respective teams.
Prior to making his/her recommendations, the Chairman of Selectors will complete the following process:
- In conjunction with the Head Coach, gather team feedback during and after the season on the performance of the prior season’s Captain through an anonymous information gathering method
- With the information gained from 1. above and in consultation with the Head Coach and the Coaching Sub-Committee, assess the performance of Captains from the prior season.
- In consultation with the Head Coach and the Coaching Sub-Committee, consider other potential Captains by reference to the Selection Criteria (see below)
- If the prior year Captain has performed at or above the expected standard and there are no other potential Captains, then the incumbent Captain is to be contacted to check he/she is willing to be Captain again for the coming season. If confirmation is received, a recommendation will be made to the General Committee to appoint that person as the Captain.
- If the prior year Captain has performed at a level below that expected or is unwilling to Captain the team in the coming season, then potential Captains will be considered by reference to the Selection Criteria and availability.
- The most suitable candidate for the position of Captain will be contacted to check he/she is willing to be Captain for the coming season. If confirmation is received, a recommendation will be made to the General Committee to appoint that person as the Captain.
It is the General Committee’s responsibility to ensure the above process has been followed and if satisfied this has been properly completed, to approve the appointment of the Captain(s).
If a player has a grievance with a selection decision, they need to address these concerns directly with the Chairman of Selectors and/or Head Coach.Selections will always be made in the best interests of the team/club and decisions will not be based on personal relationships.
- Adequate cricketing skills to warrant selection in the team
- Ability to lead team members and to get the best out of them
- Good communication skills
- Respected and trusted by team members
- Good cricket knowledge
- Capacity to coach and mentor team members
- Hard working and willing to hold others to high standards
- Ability to maintain the spirit of cricket and a consistently high standard of behaviour
- Positive attitude and enhancement of club culture
Selection of Vice Captains
The Chairman of Selectors is responsible for the appointment of the vice-captain(s). The vice-captain is to be selected in consultation with the appointed Captain and should possess as many of the Selection Criteria as possible and/or show potential to grow into the Captain role with further experience. Where appropriate, more than one vice-captain can be selected for a team, including for example the selection of a younger emerging leader so that his/her leadership skills can be developed.
For the vice-captain of the A grade team, a recommendation is to be made by the Chairman of Selectors to the General Committee for its approval. If the General Committee is satisfied the above process has been followed and properly completed, it must approve the appointment of the vice captain(s).
Captains for Different Formats
For teams that play a combination of short and longer form games, there can be a different Captain or vice-captain for each format. In consultation with the Head Coach and the Coaching Sub-Committee, the Chairman of Selectors will put forward his/her recommendations to the General Committee together with the rationale supporting this recommendation for the Captain for each format.
Communication of Captaincy Selections
When the General Committee has approved the selection of the Captains, this is to be communicated to the Head Coach, who in turn will communicate this to the Captains in the first instance and then as soon as possible thereafter to the playing group as a whole.